Top Things to Do at Elachee
There’s something for everyone at Elachee – whether experiencing the wonders of our interactive exhibits and recreation areas, or simply finding a quiet spot to watch nature while you relax and breathe! HOURS/ADMISSION/PARKING FEE
Tour the Elachee Visitor Center and Grounds OUR FACILITIES
- Explore the Exhibit Halls filled with hands-on activities for learning the natural and cultural history of Chicopee Woods Nature Preserve. LEARN MORE
- Meet snakes, turtles and other species in our Live Animal Exhibit. LEARN MORE
- Witness Live Bee Hives and view interpretive panels in the Pollinator Pass Exhibit.
- Observe the regal red tail hawk in the Outdoor Aviary. LEARN MORE
- Borrow a Discover Nature Pack (English or Spanish – FREE check out) from the Nature Shop to help children in grades K-8 get the most out of their Elachee visit.
- Enjoy playing with your little ones along the paved, stroller-accessible Storybook Trail (on the Geiger Trail).
- See what’s growing in the Elachee Nature Academy’s Gardens That Teach.
- Set out on the 0.75-mile Ed Dodd Self-Guided Trail to see the diverse forest and topography of the Nature Preserve.
- Explore the E-House, a solar-powered energy conservation demonstration building.
- Study plants in the Certified Pollinator Garden.
- Examine a Pervious Parking Surface and Rain-water Collection System (overflow lot).
- Relax in the Picnic Area and the many Pavilions on the Visitor Center grounds.
- Stop by the Compost Demonstration Site to learn the basics of a home set-up.
- Pick out a gift at the Nature Shop.
Visit the Elachee Aquatic Studies Center at Chicopee Lake to see osprey, beaver, otter and other wildlife from handicap-accessible, lake-front nature observation areas. LEARN MORE
Hike along 12 miles of trails throughout the Nature Preserve. Access trail heads from both the Visitor Center and Chicopee Lake. HIKING TRAILS