Top Things to Do at Elachee
Experience the wonders of our interactive exhibits and recreation areas, or simply find a quiet spot to watch nature while you relax and breathe!
No Dogs or Pets Permitted PER THE CHICOPEE WOODS AREA PARK COMMISSION, EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2021
Elachee Attractions HOURS / ADMISSION / PARKING FEE
Tour the Elachee Visitor Center and Grounds
- Live Animal Room: See 25 species of reptiles and amphibians who call Elachee home. ADOPT AN ELACHEE ANIMAL FRIEND
- Outdoor Aviary: Observe a Great Horned Owl, Bufo virginianus. This legendary predator is the newest resident Elachee Animal Ambassador. Blind in one eye, due to being hit by a vehicle, his rehabilitation team determined he cannot survive in the wild. Elachee welcomes this owl species, the largest in our state, which is found in every Georgia county. Follow @chewy_the_owl on Instagram.
- Demonstration Beehives: Witness this pollinator ecosystem at work in the Mike and Robbie McCormac Pollinator Pass interpretive exhibit at Elachee. Take a seat in the peaceful Geiger Garden to watch the bees enter and exit the hives. Then walk inside the Elachee Visitor Center to view the demonstration hives buzzing with purposeful activity and learn about these valuable insects.
- Garden Trail: Stroll around the Nature Center grounds to study plants in interpretive exhibits including the Green Roof, Pollinator Meadow, Rain, Bee and Children’s Garden.
- Trail of Trees: Along the Elachee Visitor Center balcony, identify tree 10 species with help from interpretative panels installed along the railing.
- Georgia Pollinator Exhibit: students from 30 area schools’ art programs, in PreK through 12th grade, imagined and painted murals of winged Georgia pollinators as part of this interpretive long-term exhibit.
- Natural History Exhibit: Learn the history and living wonders of the Chicopee Woods.
- Ed Dodd Self-Guided Trail: Set out a 0.64-mile hike to view and experience the diverse forest and topography of the Chicopee Wood Nature Preserve. This trail is part of the Chicopee Woods 8-mile hiking trail system.
- Storybook Trail: Read a book as you meander with your little ones along this paved and stroller-accessible section of the Geiger Trail, in closest proximity to the Elachee Visitor Center.
- Picnic Area: Groups of 10 or more require an Elachee Group Use Permit. Call 770-535-1976 for details.
- Elachee Nature Shop: Retail gift shop open during Visitor Center hours.
Explore other areas within the Chicopee Woods Nature Preserve
- Visit the Chicopee Woods Aquatic Studies Center at Chicopee Lake to see osprey, beaver, otter and other wildlife from handicap-accessible, lake-front nature observation areas. Parking and portable restroom available. DIRECTIONS TO CHICOPEE LAKE
- Hike along 8 miles of trails throughout the Nature Preserve. Access trail heads from both the Visitor Center and Chicopee Lake. HIKING TRAILS