Aquatic Studies Field Trip Programs
Many of Elachee’s STEAM-based environmental education field trip programs have an aquatic studies component. For select classes, we extend your school field trip experience to alternate locations.
Lake Lanier Aquatic Learning Center (LLALC) Program
Students climb aboard the floating classroom, Chota Princess II, for a hands-on exploration of the history, ecology and challenges facing Lake Sidney Lanier, Georgia’s most important reservoir. Students will sample plankton, collect lake sediments, measure turbidity and determine pH and dissolved oxygen levels.
- On shore, Elachee instructors engage students in complementary watershed activities including topographical map studies, storm water runoff demonstrations and water treatment plant simulations.
- Extra program options include a tour of the nearby Lakeside Water Treatment Facility or you can combine a study of your community watershed at your school along with a Chota Princess II cruise.
The Lake Lanier Aquatic Learning Center (LLALC) program is sponsored by Elachee Nature Science Center in partnership with Chattahoochee Riverkeeper and the Hall County Parks and Leisure Services. Title One schools are eligible for financial aid consideration for the LLALC program courtesy of Elachee’s program partner Chattahoochee River Keeper. Call Elachee for details, 770-535-1976.
PROGRAM LOCATION: During the LLALC field trip registration confirmation process, Elachee will provide driving directions to the bus drop-off location inside River Forks Park. If driving to River Forks Park, the address is 3500 Keith Bridge Road, Gainesville, GA 30504 (Guard House 770-531-3952) DIRECTIONS
Chicopee Woods Aquatic Studies Center at Chicopee Lake
Many grade-level field trip programs allow students to conduct pond and wetland studies at this Elachee outdoor classroom, located on the shores of Chicopee Lake.
Chicopee Lake is a secluded spot also ideal for smaller group programs at Elachee. We will work with you to customize a grade-specific water study or evening telescope program
- The Chicopee Woods Aquatic Studies Center features a spacious lake boardwalk and covered teaching pavilion, with restroom access.
- This area is also a favorite site for birders.
- Situated across the Chicopee Woods Nature Preserve from Elachee Nature Science Center, access to the Aquatic Studies Center requires a 2.5 mile hike from the Visitor Center through the Nature Preserve or a 10-minute drive around its perimeter.