Busy Feet, Active Minds
New Student Enrollment for 2020-2021 Opens January 13, 2020
Nature Kindergarten-1st Grade Class
Parents choose this innovative STEAM-based program to prepare their young children for continued academic success. ENROLLMENT DETAILS
Students are in and out, up and down all day – NO desks! Unlike the 15-30 minutes recess offered at other schools, our students spend more than 50-percent of their school day outdoors in guided instruction – rain or shine!
The specially designed K-1 nature-based instructional approach engages students in experiential learning and creative discovery. Children get the chance to ‘find their place’ in the real world, at their own pace. As a result, Elachee Nature Academy Kindergarten and 1st Grade students meet and exceed Georgia standards.
Our students benefit from innovative instructional philosophies originally developed in Elachee’s established Nature Preschool. Students delve into topics made fun by teachers who do not ‘teach to the test,’ but rather encourage independent thinking and problem-solving. Students learn through hands-on participation, not busy work. They even perform Citizen Science Projects by studying birds, bugs and plants to collect data they then submit to State agencies! A TYPICAL DAY / OUR CURRICULUM
Nature K-1 Class at a Glance
- Elachee Nature Academy’s accredited nature-based K-1 program is affiliated with the only SACS/AdvancED-accredited nature center in the Southeastern U.S., Elachee Nature Science Center.
- Our students’ ‘playground’ sits in one of Georgia’s largest protected green spaces, the 1,440-acre Chicopee Woods Nature Preserve.
- We teach students using a STEAM-based, nature-focused curriculum that correlates with the Georgia Standards for Excellence (GSE).
- School is Monday-Friday, August through May, from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Elachee Nature Academy follows the Hall County School System’s academic calendar.
- K-1 is limited to 20 students, led by a certified teacher (student to teacher ratio is 10:1).
- We offer optional, extended care before/after school hours to accommodate working parents’ schedules.
- The Nature K-1 classroom is in a self-contained, light-filled, open concept space that invites children to engage in creative and cooperative learning or to find a private nook for quiet, independent play.
- New for 2019! Our K-1 nature art program welcomes visiting artists who will inspire students to journal, write and read. This instructional model focuses on the process rather than the end result, which encourages independent creativity.
Elachee Nature Academy began in 2013 to serve Preschool students. The school expanded in 2016 to offer a combined Kindergarten-1st Grade class. Managed and operated by Elachee Nature Science Center in Gainesville, Ga., this innovative school is part of Elachee's quality environmental education programming, a source of delight and inspiration since 1979.
Families may apply for the State of Georgia’s Pay It Forward tax reimbursement program to help pay for their child’s tuition. During the Elachee Nature Academy early registration process, qualifying families may also apply for financial assistance.
See It to Believe It
Learn what other parents are saying about Elachee Nature Academy. PARENT BUZZ
For more information or to schedule a tour, call the Elachee Nature Academy Director of Schools at 770-535-1976 or SEND A MESSAGE.