Experiential Learning Environment
Elachee’s NEW 2nd-3rd Grade Program
Parents choose this innovative STEAM-based program to prepare their school-age children for continued academic success. 2nd-3rd Grade Class ENROLLMENT DETAILS for 2021-2022
At this nature school, students are in and out, up and down all day – NO desks! Unlike the 15-30 minutes recess offered at other schools, our students spend more than 80-percent of their school day outdoors in guided instruction – rain or shine!
The specially designed 2nd-3rd Grade nature-based instructional approach engages students in experiential learning and creative discovery. Children get the chance to ‘find their place’ in the real world, at their own pace. As a result, Elachee Nature Academy students meet and exceed Georgia standards.
Our students benefit from innovative instructional philosophies originally developed in Elachee’s established Nature Kindergarten-1st Grade program. Students delve into topics made fun by teachers who do not ‘teach to the test,’ but rather encourage independent thinking and problem-solving. This child-led approach has a nature rich curriculum. Topics include weather, rocks, erosion, habitats and pollinators – all perfect for an outdoor program. Students learn through hands-on participation, not busy work. They perform Citizen Science Projects by studying rocks, birds, bugs and plants to collect data they then submit to State agencies!
- Elachee Nature Academy’s accredited nature-based 2nd-3rd Grade program is affiliated with the only SACS/Cognia-accredited nature center in the Southeastern U.S., Elachee Nature Science Center.
- Our students’ ‘playground’ sits in one of Georgia’s largest protected green spaces, the 1,440-acre Chicopee Woods Nature Preserve.
- We teach students using a STEAM-based, nature-focused curriculum that correlates with the Georgia Standards for Excellence (GSE).
- School is Monday-Friday, August through May, from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Elachee Nature Academy follows the Hall County School System’s academic calendar for weather and holidays.
- The 2nd-3rd Grade class is limited to 20 students, led by a certified teacher (student to teacher ratio is 10:1).
- The 2nd-3rd Grade indoor classroom is in a self-contained, light-filled, open concept space that invites children to engage in creative and cooperative learning or to find a private nook for quiet, independent play.
Elachee Nature Academy began in 2013 to serve Preschool students. The school expanded in 2016 to offer a combined Kindergarten-1st Grade class. Managed and operated by Elachee Nature Science Center in Gainesville, Ga., this innovative school is part of Elachee's quality environmental education programming, a source of delight and inspiration since 1979. The school will expand to offer a 2nd-3rd Grade class for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Families may apply for the State of Georgia’s Pay It Forward Scholarships tax reimbursement program to help pay for their child’s tuition. During the Elachee Nature Academy early registration process, qualifying families may also apply for financial assistance.
See It to Believe It
For more information or to schedule a tour, call the Elachee Nature Academy Director of Schools at 770-535-1976 or SEND A MESSAGE.