Nature K-3: Busy Feet, Active Minds
Elachee Nature Academy offers a combined Nature Kindergarten-1st Grade class and a combined Nature 2nd-3rd Grade class. The K-3 curriculum is specifically designed to incorporate all State of Georgia educational standards while utilizing Elachee’s natural settings and multiple outdoor classroom areas. Nature school allows children the chance to ‘find their place’ in the real world, at their own pace.
Students learn through hands-on participation, not busy work. Instead they are in and out, up and down all day – NO desks! Spending the majority of their school day outdoors in guided instruction, students delve into topics made fun by teachers who do not ‘teach to the test,’ but rather encourage independent thinking and problem-solving. As a result, Elachee Nature Academy students meet and exceed Georgia standards.
Our students become confident, curious learners ready for their next educational steps.
- They will have a quality, academic foundation.
- They will become independent thinkers and problem-solvers.
- They can be part of a group.
- They can follow directions.
- They can take turns with materials and engage in meaningful interactive play.
Nature K-3 Class at a Glance
- Elachee Nature Academy’s accredited nature-based K-3 programs are affiliated with the only SACS/Cognia-accredited nature center in the Southeastern United States, Elachee Nature Science Center.
- Our students’ ‘playground’ sits in one of Georgia’s largest protected green spaces, the 1,440-acre Chicopee Woods Nature Preserve.
- We teach students using a STEAM-based, nature-focused curriculum that correlates with the Georgia Standards for Excellence (GSE).
- School is Monday-Friday, August through May, from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Elachee Nature Academy follows the Hall County School System’s academic calendar for weather and holidays.
- The Kindergarten-1st Grade and 2nd-3rd Grade classes are each limited to 20 students, led by a certified teacher (student to teacher ratio is 10:1).
- Indoor classrooms are open concept spaces that invites children to engage in creative and cooperative learning or to find a private nook for quiet, independent play.
Elachee Nature Academy began in 2013 to serve Preschool students. The school expanded in 2016 to offer a combined Kindergarten-1st Grade class. In August 2021, this educational model is expanding again with a 2nd-3rd class. Managed and operated by Elachee Nature Science Center in Gainesville, Georgia, this innovative school is part of Elachee’s quality environmental education programming, a source of delight and inspiration since 1979.