Education Programs Specialist
Elachee Nature Science Center, one of the nation’s preeminent environmental education and conservation organizations, seeks a qualified, focused and motivated individual to join our team in the role of Education Programs Specialist. This entry-level, salaried position is full-time, Monday-Friday (June, July and December through February) and Tuesday-Saturday (August through November and March through May), requiring evening and additional weekend work, as needed. Position is eligible for benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, science, environmental education or related field.
- Demonstrate a passion for teaching and proven experience working with children and youth.
- Physical ability to hike each day up to 1-2 miles in a variety of outdoor conditions and terrains.
- Hold or obtain a current CPR/First Aid Certification.
- Satisfactory national background check, drug screening and driving record check.
- Experience working as a naturalist, educator or camp counselor at a nature center, science center or other non-formal educational facility.
- Experience working with and caring for reptiles and amphibians.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively and independently in three core areas to fulfill job-related responsibilities:
1. Teacher Naturalist
- Learn and master Elachee’s grade-specific, environmental education programming to enthusiastically teach children of all ages and backgrounds and assist in training other teaching naturalists.
- Daily responsibility for teaching Elachee’s curriculum, for programs scheduled at the Nature Center, at schools and other outreach sites or on Lake Lanier.
- Collaborate with the Education Programs Manager and staff of 15 part-time teaching naturalists to fulfill scheduled field trip and outreach program assignments and responsibilities.
- Provide oversight for inventory and upkeep of program-related teaching supplies and equipment.
- Collaborate with the Education Director and Education Programs Manager to plan and execute Elachee’s seasonal and monthly public nature programs and festivals.
2. Camp Elachee Counselor
- Work Spring Break Camp and Weekly Summer Day Camps
- Plan weekly camp activities for groups of children ages preschool through middle school.
- Supervise Counselors-in-Training (CITs) assigned to your group.
- Collaborate with other Camp Counselors to create skits, crafts and other camper activities.
3. Assistant Animal Curator
- Assist animal curator with the daily care, feeding and cleaning habitats of residents in Elachee’s Live Animal exhibit (including reptiles, amphibians, a Red-tailed Hawk, beehives and more).
- Assist in planning tasks for and supervision of volunteer team assigned to help feed, clean and care for resident animals.
For consideration, please submit the following:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information (Name, Business/Organization, Address, Telephone and Email) for three (3) educational or professional references
Mail or E-mail
- Mail completed package to:
Elachee Nature Science Center
Re: Education Programs Specialist
2125 Elachee Drive
Gainesville, GA 30504
- E-mail completed package to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Education Programs Specialist Inquiry